Tuesday 10 February 2009

Medieval postcard from France





A lovely view of the fiery outer walls of the medieval city of Carcassonne, the capital of the Aude department in southern France. One of the places I visited myself on my travels through this exciting country.

This postcard was sent to me on 17 March 2008 from Montpellier and I received it three days later. In contrast to the solemn beauty of the fortress is the ultramodern TGV train shown speeding on its way from Paris to Zurich or Frankfurt (stamp issued on 11 June 2007). The 1 eurocent yellow Marianne (philapost) is from 2007 (I believe), the two 5 eurocent brown Mariannes (IPTV) were issued in 2005. Thank you, Nancy, for this lovely UNESCO WHS card!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carcassonne is beautiful! I was there for one day in the summer of 2007.

Liebe Grüße,
Florian